Mug Shot — «Nijmegen 1 - Grote Markt and small bridge on the back»

From Nijmegen, Netherlands


Fred's Favorites

Mug Details #4566

Starbucks City Mug Nijmegen 1 - Grote Markt and small bridge on the back

Nijmegen is a municipality and a city in the east of the Netherlands, near the German border. It is considered to be the oldest city in the Netherlands and celebrated its 2000th year of existence in 2005. The municipality is part of the Cityregion Arnhem-Nijmegen. The first mention of Nijmegen in history is in the 1st century BC, when the Romans built a military camp on the place where Nijmegen was to appear; the location had great strategic value because of the surrounding hills, which gave a good view over the Waal and Rhine valley. Few Roman remains are visible today; a fragment of the old city wall can be seen near the casino and the foundations of the amphitheatre are traced in the paving of the present-day Rembrandtstraat. The Valkhof museum, on the Valkhof, has a permanent display of the history of Nijmegen, including artifacts from the Roman era. Additionally, they usually have temporary exhibitions of more and less famous artists. Unfortunately not a whole lot of very old buildings are left in town: first the Americans carpet-bombed it in February 1944, later the Germans shelled it for about five months after the liberation in September 1944, and finally there were a lot of very rigorous city planners in the 1950s, 60's and 70's who finished what the Americans and Germans started.

The Grote Markt, Grand Market or Market Cross is the large square in the center of the Dutch city of Nijmegen . The square has had many names throughout history , including Cruys and Cruys Marct , presumably derived from a cross that has stood on the spot. Emblematic of the market right On July 9, 1924 by resolution of the City Council will officially called " Great Market". In World War II the square was the center of the area that was most affected by the bombing of Nijmegen. The square has several properties that are designated as a national monument , including the Boterwaag , St. Steve railways and several residential buildings with shops. In the square there is a statue of Mariken van Nieumeghen, the chief character in the 15th century mystery play of that name. According to legend Mariken, having entered into a league with the Devil, was fettered in iron rings but that when her period of penitence was over the rings sprang open of themselves. She is depicted holding the broken rings. The old Weigh House (Waag) and meat market, a handsome Renaissance building in red brick with black and red dormer windows and two arched doorways is now a restaurant and in summer you can sit outside.

There are 2 versions of this mug:
Version 1 (original): Small (complete) bridge on the back.
Version 2 (reissued): Large (partial) bridge on the back.

photo by mobydick74
edited by anonymous and mobydick74

  Netherlands, Nijmegen, MIT

Karma: 13 Added by argicgr 21 Comments


You need to be a registered user in order to leave a comment!