Mug Shot — «Rostov-on-Don - Railroad Drawbridge»

From Rostov, Russia


Fred's Favorites

Mug Details #4860

Starbucks City Mug Rostov-on-Don - Railroad Drawbridge

Rostov-on-Don - is a port city and the administrative center of Rostov Oblast and the Southern Federal District of Russia. It lies on the Don River, 32 kilometers from the Sea of Azov. Since ancient times, the area around the mouth of the Don has been of cultural and commercial importance. Ancient indigenous inhabitants include the Scythian, Sarmat, and Savromat tribes. It was the site of Tanais, an ancient Greek colony, Fort Tana, under the Genoese and Fort Azak in the time of the Ottoman Empire.In 1749, a custom house was established on the Temernik River, a tributary of the Don, by edict of Empress Elizabeth, the daughter of Peter the Great, in order to control trade with Turkey. It was co-located with a fortress named for Dimitry of Rostov, a metropolitan bishop of the old northern town of Rostov the Great. Azov, a town closer to the Sea of Azov on the Don, gradually lost its commercial importance in the region to the new fortress. In 1756, the "Russian commercial and trading company of Constantinople" was founded at the "merchants' settlement" (Kupecheskaya Sloboda) on the high bank of the Don. Towards the end of the eighteenth century, with the incorporation of previously Ottoman Black Sea territories into the Russian Empire, Rostrov lost much of its militarily strategic importance as a frontier point. In 1796, the settlement became a township and the administrative centre for the newly Russified region. In 1806, the name of this founding site was changed to Rostov and later to Rostov-on-Don, thus, the modern day town was established.

Rostov railroad drawbridge - three-span arch bridge with two-way lifting the middle part of the river Don. Located in Rostov-on-Don, near the mouth of the river Temernik between stations Rostov- Chief and Nina North- Caucasian railway. The bridge is most passenger trains coming through growth, and a small amount of cargo . The first bridge on this site was built in 1873-1874 during the construction of the Vladikavkaz Railway. It was a five-span bridge single track original design: the passage of ships for the average farm is rotated 90 °, becoming along the river. However, the passage of ships through the bridge was built, often had a collision with the bridge supports . Therefore special barge-release was built to assist the passage. Because of these inconveniences , as well as insufficient bandwidth on a single-track bridge, in 1912 it was decided to build a new double-track bridge in 40-50 meters downstream. By 1917, he was elevated to the Rostov and nicknamed "American " because such bridges were built in North America since the late XIX century. The old bridge was dismantled in the 1920s. In the first months of the war to replace the old bridge was built as a temporary. During the first occupation of Rostov November 21, 1941 during the retreat of the Red Army south span of the bridge and lettered American Axle had been undermined by Soviet sappers. However, on November 28 Rostov was released, and then lettered bridge was rebuilt. During the second occupation of Rostov lettered bridge was blown up again, but later restored by the Germans. Upon release of Rostov in February 1943 , both bridges were almost completely destroyed. In 1945, bridge was temporary fixed to be built back again for permanent between the years 1949-1952. It is still used today . By design, it is a little different from the old American Bridge. In 2001-2003 bridge was reconstructed- beam was assembled between the mines for greater stability.

edited by mobydick74
photo by lucky robles

  Russia, Rostov

Karma: 7 Added by argicgr 7 Comments


You need to be a registered user in order to leave a comment!